5th Class were busy this week making soup from the produce in the school garden this year. Included in the mixture were potatoes, onions, leeks, turnips and some sweet potatoes that Mrs. Meade had grown in her polytunnel especially for the school. Mrs. Meade also bequeathed her magic recipe for soup and it is printed below.
Ms. Gerrard took over soup making duties from Mrs. Meade and produced a fantastic finished product. The pupils came to the staffroom and cut up all the vegetables. Many of them already make soup at home and 30/32 devoured the finished product. There was just about enough left over for the staff at lunchtime.
Mrs. Meade’s Soup Recipe
A few potatoes, one turnip, no more than two leeks and no less than one, a handful of onions and two fistfuls of carrots.
1. Skin and chop everything finely and put them in a large saucepan.
2. Add water which almost covers the vegetables.
3. Add three vegetable stock cubes
4. Boil and then simmer until the vegetables are cooked.
5. Add more potatoes if too watery and more water if not watery enough.
6. “Jizz” the mixture with a blender and serve
Not a hint of a metric measurement anywhere and the results are magic!